Information Regarding End User Rights
This site provides guidance about end user rights. Additional information for TUNE’s clients and partners on how to carry out data subject requests is provided at the end of this page. This site is hosted by TUNE, a partner marketing platform.
TUNE operates as a data processor acting at the direction of data controllers (our clients, which may include advertisers, agencies, publishers, or ad networks). TUNE does not solicit end users, leverage data on its system for unauthorized purposes, or share that data without the data controller’s permission.
Guidance to End Users Regarding GDPR Rights
Under the GDPR (the General Data Protection Regulation, which is the European Union’s new privacy law), individuals (also known as end users or data subjects) have the right to delete, access, correct, and export their personal data.
TUNE operates as a data processor, acting at the instruction of data controllers. TUNE does not have a direct relationship with end users, though our customers (data controllers) may ask us to process personal data of end users with whom they have a direct relationship.
To exercise your end user rights, please reach out to the data controllers with whom you have a direct relationship. In most cases, the data controller will be an advertiser of a product advertised to you on a mobile application or via mobile or desktop web. The data controller may also be a publisher, agency, or ad network.
When you contact data controllers, we recommend you explicitly provide the information necessary to process a specific request. In many cases, the device or advertiser identifier for your mobile device is all that is required; the following links provide instructions on how to find your relevant identifier for your mobile device: iOS and Android.
Guidance to End Users Regarding Ad Targeting Opt Outs
- Under guidance from the Digital Advertising Alliance, companies must provide transparency (notice about their targeted advertising activities) and end user choice (ability to opt out from this type of targeted advertising). This section provides high-level information on how end users can opt out of those specific features that measure interest-based advertising to end users.
- End users can opt out of all targeted advertising on their mobile device by enabling the Limit Ad Tracking (or “LAT”) setting (this setting is per device only). When the end user enables the LAT flag, they are opted out of targeted or interest based ads only; i.e., the end user will continue to see ads after the LAT flag is turned on, but these ads will not be “targeted” to that end user. End users should be aware that developers are bound by the platform’s terms to honor end user opt-outs for interest-based or location-based ads.
- End users can also “reset” the data being used to target ads to them – for example, if the end user is being served ads tied to past activities that are no longer relevant to their interests. This is accomplished by the end user “resetting” their ad identifier on their device. Ad identifiers include the IDFA (iPhone) and Google Ad ID (Android).
- End users can also opt out through the app or specific publisher website. End users can also opt out of push notifications from an app using the appropriate settings within the app.
- End users using mobile or desktop web (e.g., Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer) can turn off (“disable”) cookie settings and/or use the browser in a private “incognito” mode, which ignores cookies. Some browsers, including Mozilla Firefox, offer a browser plug-in to limit data tracking.
Guidance to Data Controllers Regarding End User Data Requests
As a data controller, you may receive requests from end users attempting to exercise their rights with regard to personal data. To the extent data controllers have shared such information with TUNE and require erasure by TUNE to fulfill the end user’s rightful request, data controllers must communicate that obligation to TUNE, along with the information necessary for TUNE to execute the request. More information on processing end user data requests is available here. Please note that TUNE applies data retention rules to abide by data minimization principles; such rules are outlined at the of TUNE’s secure data support document available here. In most cases, reliance on TUNE’s existing data retention rules will satisfy the end user request within a reasonable period of time.